Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Liking Your Characters

For me, at least, it is important to like my characters. All of them. Even the awful, sadistic bastards. (alright, maybe especially the awful, sadistic bastards) No matter the character or the circumstance I have to find something, no matter how small or random or inconsequential to the actual story, that I like about a character. Otherwise I can't write them.

At the very least I'll do completely ridiculous or terrible things to them.

Luckily, this usually isn't an issue for me.

But sometimes it is. And man does it suck.

Because, on the one hand, it's really fun to  indulge that urge. On the other, it's rarely ever good for the story.

I have one character that I dislike immensely. His name is Tobe. Sometimes I amuse myself by thinking of all the different scenarios I'm going to drop him into and watch him try to squirm out of. It's a bit awful. But, in the universe that Tobe exists in, there isn't much that isn't awful so I don't feel too bad about going with it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess it's not Tobe's fault that he's the only loser in a world full of awesome people. But he needs to be dropped, naked, into a pit of lava. That's all.

-Melissa

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | free samples without surveys