Monday, July 12, 2010

Kind of Silly

I've always kind of sort of wanted to write a musical.  I've been raised on the medium and spent my adolescence on a stage, so I guess it's not surprising.  Unfortunately, I'm far from being a musical prodigy.  Four years of piano lessons gave me the ability to read music and a rudimentary understanding of melody, but I have to plunk out even the simplest of songs.  I hadn't sat on the bench in ages until yesterday, when I decided to give it a go.  I've become infatuated with Gankutsuou (a gorgeous anime based on The Count of Monte Cristo, for anyone interested), and had found some sheet music for the opening song online.  Feeling bold, I dove into it - using the pedal and everything.

"Unh," my mother groaned when I had finished, not waiting for me to ask what she thought.

"It really is a pretty song," I protested.

"Somewhere in there was a pretty song, yes.  Unh."

So my musical abilities could use some help.  The only thing I've got going for me in the realm of Musical Theatre is melodrama.

In any case, my midyear resolution is to abuse the piano more often because musicality is a trait I value.

-Melissa

1 comments:

Erica said...

I'm sorry but I kind of love your mother for that

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | free samples without surveys