Monday, June 28, 2010

My Writing Space

I've always written at my desk.  Anywhere else in my house contains even more distractions.  The desk contains its share of distractions also, but over the years I've so ingrained the mindset of "this is where it happens" that even those inevitably lead back to production.  For some reason I've never been able to listen to music while I write, which is too bad since so many songs remind me of a character or a stretch of prose.  Then again, I can't focus on more than one thing at a time in any aspect of life, so this isn't surprising.

Some of my best pieces have come from being away from the desk, though.  Vacations, especially to the ocean, have always rewarded me with inspiration.  When I was lucky enough to see Paris a couple of years ago, a great deal of the plot line for Aya's Wings almost fell into my lap.  Seeing new things, meeting new people, all of this is conducive to stories.

But it all leads back to my desk (this reminds me of the Harry Nilsson song, speaking of distractions...).  I've spent more hours than I could possibly estimate typing on this same keyboard, staring at my beloved 2003 Mac desktop that still manages to drag itself along for me every day.  Here in the silence of my room, I can connect with the characters and create.

While also checking facebook, of course.

-Melissa

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | free samples without surveys